Saturday, October 8, 2011

A Gem of a Day

Hello dear readers,

Sorry it has been a while...I have been a little" under the weather" as they say, with a sore back.... and had to spend the better part of the week resting. Ah... the joys of ageing!!

Anyway, I am up and running now and want to show you some of the lovely gemstones I recently purchased at a local supplier, Ajit. I was lucky enough to walk in to their shop in Swanston street, Melbourne, when Ajit was having a huge sale, so, of course had to make the most of it!

Unfortunately, I was told their  retail shop was closing, ( last Friday) although I do not know anything about the on-line business. For those that live in Melbourne, I was also told they will still be at The Melbourne Bead Expo, which is on 11th-13th November.

I have been looking for some beads that would go with a stunning lampwork focal I bought recently, when I went to the Flame on Glass 2011 at Kirra Galleries, Melbourne.

I think some of these will definitely fit the bill.



Left to right...labradorite, carnelian, ( forgot to write the name of this one down...it's a very pretty pale blue...looks way too grey here) faceted labradorite again, citrine, moonstone, labradorite again, tanzanite          and garnet.


Just look at this delicious mix! Garnet and Carnelian.



The beautiful jumbled pile.

Those who know me, know that Garnets are special to me for sentimental reasons.

My Mother's name was Garnet as was her Mother.......you can see more about my love of Garnets here if you wish.


That's it for me today...hope you are all enjoying your weekend....

Cheers until next time,


7 comments:

Pink Tree Studio said...

Ooooh, beads! My other passion~~although they have kind of faded into the background lately, thanks to photography and Photoshop :~)

Lisa said...

As a child my favorite color was red, so naturally I thought I was the luckiest girl in the world to have the 'red'garnet as my birthstone! I still love garnets, and as you did, found out so much more about them as I grew up. The deep red is still my favorite! It's like it has a glow, a fire, from deep within the stone. I never tire of wearing my garnet jewelry. I loved your garnet story, too. Have a wonderful weekend. Glad your back is better!

Green Shoot Jewellery Designs said...

Hi Jenni, I'm sorry to hear you've not been well, glad you're feeling better now. I love the beads you have chosen, the moonstone and citrine are my favourites, can't wait to see what you make with them.
Deb x

Lesley said...

Wow, that's quite a haul you have there Jenni - beautiful! Garnet is my birthstone so was probably the first gem I ever owned. I was given a beautiful OOAK ring for my 21st birthday which sadly, I lost when my house was broken into. I still love them though and have my own little stash of garnet beads.

Glad to here you're feeling fit agin - long may it last.

sharon said...

I am drooling over those beads! Just beautiful!!
Glad you are feeling better...let's see what you create!

Judy said...

Beautiful beads! I especially love Labradorite!

Jenni said...

Thanks everyone...I can't wait to use the Carnelian and the garnets in particular...will show you if I manage to make anything show able!
jenni

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...